Tuesday 25 September 2012

Getting used to life in Innsbruck :)

Okay, so, I'm in Austria. I reached about a week back. I'm not going to blog about how good/bad it felt to leave and the accompanying dramas. I'm just going to say that I'm slowly getting settled and adjusted to the not so systematic life in a student dormitory,again. And I got a room mate about half an hour ago...She seems nice,for the moment...Time will tell I suppose.

I'm in this tiny little town in the Alps called Innsbruck. It is kind of a University town, it came into being only because of the University (now,my University). I suppose it is very beautiful, it is one of the most sought after ski places in Europe and is surrounded by mountains etcetera etcetera. I am posting a few pictures to that effect.


This is the view from my window in sunlight.


The same view in rain. I totally understand now why Ruskin Bond lives in the mountains and why he keeps writing on and on about them, has been for years.


This is the courtyard-cum-smoking corner on the ground floor of the dorm.


That's the river Inn, that gives the town its name. Innsbruck is actually a form of the word Innbrücke which means "bridge over Inn" (Brücke=bridge in German). It is a beautiful shade of green, and ever so clear.





There is this town tower sort of thing that we climbed one day as part of sight seeing. This is the view of the surroundings from there. It is pretty gorgeous :)





She is beautiful isn't she? And the dog is so adorable :)


This is a church of St.Nikolas, yes Santa Claus. I suppose it will have some sort of big blow out around Christmas :)



These are from a slightly larger church/cathedral (I don't know how to distinguish between them). It is called the Dome of St.Jacob. I don't know what he did, it is beautiful in that it has these frescoes and all. And apparently a part of it was destroyed in the second world war and rebuilt and all that. Frankly, I was too tired by this point so I just sat in the pews and rested.

So in a nutshell, I live now in a very picturesque place with unpredictable weather. One day it is all bright and sunny and the next its damp and rainy. Alps sure is mischievous ;) 










No comments:

Post a Comment