Sunday 10 June 2012

On those tragic love stories we love a lot ...




From Wuthering Heights to Gone with the Wind to Vinnaithandi Varuvaya, any love story worth reading or watching hasn't had quite the happy ending.Everyone  remembers the debacle 'Ek Deewana Tha', that was the soul less hindi remake of VTV with the happy ending, right?  (I'm not considering the sequel to GWTW,'Scarlett' by Alexandra Ripley,which does have a happy ending, and which I DID NOT hate, contrary to popular sentiment ). All the epic love stories have been tragedies. Romeo & Juliet, Heer-Ranjha, Salim-Anarkali...need I say more?  I can't fathom for the life of me why this has been the case. I mean, we all grew up on Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, all of which had happy endings, in all of which, Prince charming delivered his Lady Love from all misfortunes and they lived happily ever after. Then why do we have this morbid fascination with tragic/unrequited-love-stories? The latest in the list was Ishaqzaade, in which both the hero and heroine fall prey to the honour killing scene (given, that they killed each other, but you get what I mean, don't you?)  still strongly prevalent in regions of northern states in India (Might I say, great movie, hot guy, cute gal).  Is it because of the basic human nature of always expecting the worst in every situation? That is a unique brand of pessimism that we are sporting...just saying ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment